Dear Library Patrons,
I would like to begin by thanking you all again for your tremendous support during this public health crisis. Team KFPL feels so lucky to be part of such an amazing community. The Library is now open and operating under phase 5 of our comprehensive re-opening plan.
As you are seeing across our nation, services do not look exactly the same as they did prior to the Covid-19 pandemic. For instance, we are operating on reduced hours to allow staff time at the beginning and end of each day to properly clean and sanitize the building. When you return to the Library, you will notice that the staff will be wearing face coverings, the floors will be marked to indicate social distancing, and those fun, face-to-face programs that we all love so dearly will be temporarily cancelled and replaced with virtual on-line programming. While we are sad and disappointed to have to limit our services in some areas, we are delighted to have taken this opportunity to learn about, create and implement brand new services, such as virtual programming, curbside pick-up, instant digital cards, online card renewals and many more. As you plan your return visit to the Library, here are a few important details to note:
- New Building Hours are
- Monday - Thursday: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Friday: 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Saturday: CLOSED
- Sunday: CLOSED
- We will offer one special hour each week on Fridays from 10:00 - 11:00 a.m. specifically for guests 60+ years of age and/or vulnerable populations to use the Library. No others will be permitted in the building during this time.
- The lower-level of the Library, including the Children's Room, will operate on limited hours. The hours for the children's area are Monday - Thursday from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Friday from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- The public restrooms will be closed to all guests and visitors until further notice.
- We will be limiting capacity and monitoring the number of people permitted in the building at one time, so there could be times that guests may have to wait at the door if capacity has been reached.
- All KFPL staff members and all guests and visitors over 2 years of age are required to wear a face covering at all times while inside the building.
- Hand sanitizing stations have been placed throughout the building, and guests are asked to sanitize during their visit.
- Guests are asked to return ALL borrowed library items in the curbside return boxes as they will be not be accepted inside.
- Public computer sessions will be limited to 30 minutes.
- The Historical Room and all meeting rooms/spaces are closed to the public.
- No group meetings or tutoring sessions are permitted in the Library at this time.
I understand that these changes are vastly different and vary greatly from the level of service you have become accustomed to from KFPL, and they can be difficult to adjust to and even a little frustrating to accept. This is true for us as well. However, I assure you that prior to instituting these new policies and procedures, I spent countless hours participating in online meetings, discussions, and training sessions provided by local, county, regional, and state government offices, legal counselors, health experts and professionals, and fellow library administrators before making any decisions about how to proceed. I carefully and dutifully considered all options with regards to safety measures that I initiated, and I can confidently say that I have implemented what I believe to be the best practices to protect the health and safety of our irreplaceable staff, beloved patrons and cherished community. We are in this together, and together we will get through this. I wish you health and peace, and I can't wait to see soon.
Kimberly Garrett, Library Director